Happy New Year! Thanks for reading along as I tackle the crazy world of the written word. It’s been a great and happy year and a dark and stormy year. I had some great wins. I had some tough losses. But we all did, and I think it’s important to take a minute to reflect and appreciate what we’ve each accomplished.
Here’s my Year in Words:
- Words Written: 122,416 (includes fiction, book reviews, blogs, and essays).
- Works Completed: 5
- 1 novel
- 3 short stories
- 1 esssay
- plus: book reviews and blog posts
- Submissions to Paying Markets: 19
- Publications: 1 (my first!)
- Books Read: 28
- Applied to grants and fellowships
- Got selected for programming for two local cons
- Got some amazing feedback on my work from fellow writers, editors, and others
- Attended Paradise Regained, the Viable Paradise reunion, and got some serious recharging done
And here’s what I’m shooting for in 2017:
- Words to Write: 200,000+
- Works to Complete: at least 10; there will be short stories aplenty, more novel writing, and hopefully lots of stuff to celebrate
- Submissions to Paying Markets: As the time it takes markets to review and respond can vary wildly, I can’t really judge how many subs I’ll get in this year, but I hope to keep 3/4 of my revised-and-ready stories on submission for the whole year.
- Books to Read: 30
- Attending two cons as a panelist/moderator
- Possible travel to an out-of-state con
- My first novel critique
- Lots of rejections